Overview and Logs for the Dev Meeting Held on 2019-07-14

Postato da: el00ruobuob / rehrar


<dEBRUYNE> Guess we can start, anyone else here? ping moneromooo, rbrunner, selsta, dsc_, vtnerd, woodser, hyc, jtgrassie, fluffypony, luigi1111, smooth
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Yes meeting. IRC problems. Sec.
<dEBRUYNE> probably forgot some people
<fluffypony> here
<dEBRUYNE> sarang and suraeNoether of course
<moneromooo> I am.
<rbrunner> Here of course, where else
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Tor rejecting my login attempts.
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> But present.
<dEBRUYNE> rehrar, you may lead
<moneromooo> If ypu have a "tor account", that was some phishing site ^_^
<italocoin> :))
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> moneromooo, it's my SASL. Broken for some reason. Will fix later.
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Anyways. Greetings is done.
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> So 2. What's been completed since previous meeting.
<jtgrassie> woodser: inc/exc PR moneromooo mentioned https://github.com/monero-project/monero/pull/5598
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Anyone have an update? CLI stuff? GUI stuff?
<dsc_> This week ill work closely with Selsta on things concerning GUI
<moneromooo> More work on share-rpc. More work on banning subnets. Mostly.
<rbrunner> I had a little success today, with making Windows GUI installer builds reproducible, with several people confirming the same hash: https://old.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/cd0snl/help_test_reproducible_windows_gui_installer/
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> dsc_ as opposed to other weeks when you don't work closely with selsta on things concerning GUI?
<dEBRUYNE> To add to the GUI, dsc_ opened a few pull request to improve Tails support
<italocoin> dsc_ i've tested GUI and works well, any known bugs?
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> rbrunner what's the time frame you want for that? I can put it in the next Revuo as a volunteer opportunity, but they come out on Thursdays.
<dEBRUYNE> xiphon made a pull request to properly store the integrated address (previously it was stored as plain address + short encrypted payment ID)
<rbrunner> Not sure what you mean about volunteers. I think confirmation is already here, see the posts in that thread
<dsc_> italocoin: There are always some bugs but must say latest release was a solid one. For problems best to visit our issue tracker.
<dsc_> rehrar: Yes, exactly
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> rbrunner, noted. Thanks for the info.
<italocoin> dsc_ one thing that i think we should worok on, is that when you send yourself a payment, it should be a small note there that was sent to yourself, if not you get sent 0
<dsc_> italocoin: this has been reported by kico earlier, I believe
<italocoin> that confuses some people
<italocoin> Oh kk
<rbrunner> I think the CLI does the same
<italocoin> true
<rbrunner> also a little confusing, at least at first
<moneromooo> It is impossible to distinguish change from non change, so if you rescan, the amount would change.
<italocoin> for regular people it is confusing for sure, my idea would be just to add a note that was sent to yourself and just show the fee or someting like that
<moneromooo> Though… stoffu made some change to the derivations when he introduced subaddresses, and it might be that they can be distinguished nowadays…
<italocoin> moneromooo: if its sent to subaddress i think you are right, but if the wallet gets rescaned or created again, the 0 its unavoidable i think
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Alright nothing else?
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Oops. Stupid delay.
<rehrar> from the ashes I rise
<rehrar> ok, next topic
<fluffypony> release?
<moneromooo> Oh yes please
<rehrar> sure
<rehrar> fluffypony: take it away?
<moneromooo> Are you still waiting on the bsd patch, or can that be left out for now ?
<fluffypony> I mean, it would be advantageous to have it
<fluffypony> but if it's going to take more than a few days let's just leave it
<moneromooo> IIRC TheCharlatan said it was a non trivial amount of work.
<moneromooo> Dunno how far it is though.
<fluffypony> ok maybe he comments in the next 24 hours
<rbrunner> "Release" would be already then?
<fluffypony> yes
<fluffypony> would the GUI need a point release too?
<dsc_> Don't think so. Selsta: ping
<selsta> yes
<dsc_> yes?
<selsta> I mean yes GUI would need a point release too.
<selsta> We embed the daemon so all the bugs that get fixed on CLI side effects us too.
<rehrar> Ok, anything else you want for the discussion on the point release fluffypony?
<dsc_> Ah ok, I was more thinking about any death threatening GUI bugs.
<fluffypony> moneromooo: what merges are you waiting for?
<moneromooo> I think they're all merged by luigi1111w now. The one I had been thinking about was 5363, but given I've just had to rewrite a fair bit of it, I think I'll leave it.
<moneromooo> So from my side, we have all we need.
<fluffypony> ok so just version bump?
<moneromooo> And maybe some more hashes (with a bit more slack than last time maybe).
<fluffypony> kk
<rehrar> Is it possible for us to discuss the October fork?
<fluffypony> should we set a threshold?
<rehrar> Just like, prelim stuff
<fluffypony> for hashes I mean
<moneromooo> Last time was a day IIRC, that seemed little to me.
<moneromooo> I suppose we should not see a day's reorg but still
<fluffypony> ok let's say 48 hours from the time of the commit
<fluffypony> that gives us a buffer coz it still needs to be built by a bunch of people etc
<moneromooo> OK.
<rehrar> gucci?
<dEBRUYNE> I guess once fluffypony sets the tag, people can already start their determinisitc build processes and publish the hashes
<moneromooo> versace.
<dEBRUYNE> The more results the better
<fluffypony> yes
<fluffypony> balenciaga
<dsc_> louie
<dsc_> -e +s
<moneromooo> To be clear, I was talking about the embedded block hashes, not gitian hashes.
<rehrar> If so,
<dEBRUYNE> moneromooo: Yes, my comment was unrelated to that, should have clarified that
<rehrar> Do we have a rough estimate for when "code freeze" is for this upcoming fork?
<rehrar> also, I don't know if hyc is around, but with the glowing reviews of RandomX, it's looking almost positive that it's going in, yeah?
<rehrar> one more to go in regards to audits
<dEBRUYNE> Not sure about code freeze, but the general idea was to publish binaries way in advance of the fork right (e.g. 4-6 weeks)
<dEBRUYNE> As the consensus changes are soon ready and we don't have to perform last minute tweaks
<rehrar> and sarang hasn't mentioned anything about CLSAG audits, right?
<rehrar> most definitely going in the fork after this one
<dEBRUYNE> Yeah October seems too short for CLSAG
<rehrar> alright, if no other comments, are there any other meeting items?
<moneromooo> I've had people reviewing share-rpc (thanks vtnerd and stoffu), please feel free anyone else ^_^
<dEBRUYNE> I kind of wanted to ask everyone's opinion on switching to a 12 month schedule after April 2020 (so once RandomX and CLSAG are in)
<dEBRUYNE> So we'd essentially only have one HF each year around Monero's birthday
<moneromooo> We'll only know if we have new stuff we want to add when we get to it.
<sarang> I am still in (slow) talks with potential auditors
<sarang> Nobody's biting for the math review part, only implementation
<sarang> So I am not expecting things will be ready for fall 2019
<dEBRUYNE> moneromooo: So you'd like to retain the 6 month schedule and skip a HF if there are no consensus changes basically?
<dEBRUYNE> Or if they can wait
<rehrar> RandomX will have just been implemented for six months at that part. Is that enough time to gauge it? Becasuse if not, and we move to a year schedule, then that means we wait a full year if something meh happens.
<moneromooo> I find it annoying to say in advance "we'll wait that long" when we have no clue yet whether that predefined delay will be appropriate.
<rbrunner> Er, that sounds a little too much theory. I don't think we would wait and not emergency-HF
<rehrar> it's true that it is a year away at least, so it's hard to gauge. A lot can happen in a year. But I can appreciate dEBRUYNE just putting the feelers out
<moneromooo> Oh, anyone knows of any merchant/exchange/whatever that's switched from long payment ids recently ?
<rehrar> no
<dEBRUYNE> A bit unrelated, but I plan to contact some staff from Bitfinex, Binance, and Bittrex on Reddit to have a chat with them about switching
<dEBRUYNE> Those are basically the largest 'offenders'
<moneromooo> Thanks
<italocoin> RandomX: is experimental, do we have reviews from outsiders?
<moneromooo> Yes, three.
<moneromooo> See hyc's "RandomxAudits" github repo.
<rehrar> with a fourth on the way
<italocoin> trustworthy?
<moneromooo> That's what you decide after reading them.
<rehrar> it wasn't my grandma who audited the thing, if that helps
<rehrar> either way, I think we can call it here.
<italocoin> That is great news
<rehrar> Discussion may, of course, continue after the fact.
<italocoin> hhaha rehrar
<rehrar> Thanks for attending the meeting everyone!
<rehrar> have nice lives

Post tags : Dev Diaries, Monero Core, Cryptography