Overview and Logs for the Dev Meeting Held on 2019-05-05

Posted by: el00ruobuob / rehrar


<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Meeting?
<rbrunner> It would be time for one, yes
<rehrar> 1. Meetings Greetings
<rehrar> h'lo
<moneromooo> We're waiting for 5509 to be finished before branching.
<rehrar> that's how moneromooo always says hello, don't worry
<hyc> hi
<rehrar> 2. What's been done since the previous meeting?
<rbrunner> … a month ago, if I remember correctly
<rehrar> Something like that. :P So in theory at least a few things got done.
<rehrar> is dsc_ dEBRUYNE selsta around give a gui update?
<rehrar> and maybe moneromooo can say something, although he kind of did already
<moneromooo> hi
<dEBRUYNE> I am here
<dEBRUYNE> Suppose I can give a quick GUI update
<rehrar> please do
<dEBRUYNE> The white theme got merged finally! It also includes a lot of other UI improvements
<dEBRUYNE> Trezor support has been finalized
<dEBRUYNE> We've also updated the QT version to 5.9.7, because QT 5.7 was kind of holding us back due to a few bugs being present in it
<dEBRUYNE> Also QT 5.9.7 allows us to use more features etc.
<dEBRUYNE> An update popup was also implemented, it basically checks whether a new version is available and shows a little pop up if yes
<dEBRUYNE> Fiat pricing will also be merged soon^tm, note that it will be turned off by default
<dEBRUYNE> Update popup can be seen here fwiw -> https://github.com/monero-project/monero-gui/pull/2100
<dEBRUYNE> Other than that, the usual lots of optimizations and bug fixes :P
<dEBRUYNE> We're essentially ready for the upcoming release too
<dEBRUYNE> Just need to merge a few remaining PRs, wait for the translations, and do some testing
<dEBRUYNE> That's kind of it I guess :p
<dEBRUYNE> Oh one more thing, for 0.15 we'll be revamping the send page / flow to make it more intuitive -> https://github.com/monero-project/monero-gui/issues/2148
<rbrunner> Looks like it will be a interesting release
<rehrar> Awesome. And where's the core software in the process of point release? they are planning to have one, right?
<rehrar> oh, well moneromooo did kind of state at the start
<dEBRUYNE> Yeah after 5509 is resolved we're branching as far as I know
<moneromooo> It just needs vtnerd to review (and hopefully not say it's total shite and needs rewriting :P)
<rehrar> and then waiting on pony shenanigans?
<rbrunner> Is it sure already that it will have the version
<rbrunner> If yes, I can make the few trivial updates for the installer for that
<moneromooo> Almost certainly.
<moneromooo> But there will likely be etc soon afterwards.
<rbrunner> You mean
<dsc_> Ill focus on: pruning/moneroseed handler/automatic mining from within the GUI next, after that TOR/I2P
<moneromooo> Yes, I do, thanks.
<rehrar> sad dsc_. Mobile one day?
<dEBRUYNE> moneromooo: Are we building directly after branching or will there be some time for testing first?
<dsc_> rehrar: Where's my Librem dev kit? :)
<moneromooo> Both I think.
<dEBRUYNE> Anyone from the RandomX team here to provide an update?
<dEBRUYNE> tevador, sech1, hyc?
<rehrar> dsc_: I'll literally beg on the streets for you to get one
<selsta> 19:15 <rehrar> sad dsc_. Mobile one day? <– We don’t really have resources for mobile atm.
<hyc> sure
<hyc> randomx code freeze was april39
<hyc> 30
<hyc> we have 2 review proposals and a 3rd team isprepping one
<hyc> I have a preliminary randomx integration with monerod in my github repo
<hyc> tevador is still playing with cpu optimizations
<rehrar> the review proposals will require XMR, yes?
<rehrar> via CCS?
<hyc> sech1 has nearly finished a CUDAversion
<hyc> yes
<rehrar> let me know if you guys require any help getting the CCS proposal up for them
<rbrunner> Will be intesting to see how fast CUDA will be
<hyc> thanks. waiting for 3rd proposal
<sech1> I estimate CUDA version will have the same hashrate on RandomX as with Cryptonight, maybe even faster
<sech1> It's like 80% complete now
<rehrar> this is kind of really exciting stuff, and I'm super giddy that Monero (via you guys) are on the forefront of this
<rbrunner> Is that earlier than originally feared / planned?
<hyc> rbrunner wdy mean
<rbrunner> The CUDA version. I am a little surprised it's almost ready already
<sech1> It's not hard to implement
<rbrunner> But somebody must do it :)
<sech1> But the remaining 20% might take longer, it's the hardest part to do without losing much hashrate
<hyc> yes, so it's beingdone
<hyc> lol. the last 20% always takes the most time…
<rbrunner> True that
<rehrar> hyc any time frame on the 3rd team proposal?
<rehrar> and kind of the CCS in general?
<rehrar> this probably won't get in this upcoming fork, correct?
<hyc> I suppose we'll see the 3rd proposal this week
<hyc> we'll present all 3 for discussion in this channel, decide what to move forward on
<sech1> You can watch my progress with CUDA version here: https://github.com/SChernykh/RandomX_CUDA/
<hyc> if we have reviews completed by July I think we can roll out in October
<hyc> I expect to have fully working testnet monerod in time for monerokon
<dEBRUYNE> rehrar: I don't see why not if we have integration ready + reviews finished by the end of June
<rehrar> That's awfully exciting. Thanks for sharing the news on this.
<dEBRUYNE> The october fork is then still ~3.5 months away
<rehrar> so I guess I shouldn't buy any more GPUs at the moment for my little 2 GPU miner
<hyc> as sech1 noted, GPU hashrate will be comparable to cryptonight
<hyc> but CPU rate is much higher than cryptonight
<dEBRUYNE> I guess we'll see GPU mining as long as it is profitable
<hyc> yeah, no reason why not
<hyc> anyone interested in writing minig
<hyc> mining code can get current rev from randomx repo
<hyc> final docs/specs arethere now
<sech1> actually, it's the dev branch of randomx repo which is up to date
<hyc> ^ tevador says all merged to master now
<sech1> nice
<rehrar> I have a mac (for website testing). Maybe I can give it a shot.
<rehrar> But I'd have to build from source, right?
<moneromooo> Yes.
<moneromooo> Or I guess you can grab a binary from that PR.
<dsc_> what does 'SSL' between wallet and daemon mean?
<dsc_> between monero-wallet-cli and monerod?
<moneromooo> Data sent back and forth gets encrypted.
<moneromooo> Yes.
<vtnerd_> moneromooo : I have a mac for testing too
<dsc_> gotcha. Ill try to test..
<vtnerd_> the issue is that I think I have a custom openssl build instead of whatever comes with the system, which is probably what you want to be tested ?
<moneromooo> Well, mostly, but a custom one can't be bad either. Might find some corner case.
<rehrar> moneromooo: I'll put it in the Revuo as well as a volunteer opportunity?
<rehrar> though it'd help to have instructions on how to test
<rehrar> maybe I can talk with you later and do a write up
<moneromooo> Well, I kinda hope it'll be done and merged within a day now that vtnerd's around to review ^_^
<rehrar> ah, I see.
<rehrar> no worries then
<moneromooo> Thanks though
<rehrar> alright, any other meeting items?
<rehrar> Just the logs of this meeting (if/when posted) will be enough to excite the community I think
<rehrar> pump back up to 500 dollah
<rehrar> jk jk don't ban
<rehrar> Alright, if there's nothing else, I think we can call it here. thanks for the check in everyone.
<hyc> byebye
<rbrunner> Thanks

Post tags : Dev Diaries, Monero Core, Cryptography