Overview and Logs for the Dev Meeting Held on 2019-04-07

Posted by: el00ruobuob / rehrar


<hyc> so, no meeting today?
<hyc> gingeropolous: you there?
<rehrar> I know you gys had a meeting last week
<rehrar> but it was impromptu, correct?
<rehrar> if we want dev meetings to stay on the weeks that community ones are not, then it should be today, since community meeting is next week
<rehrar> we can do a short one if there's not much to discuss
<rehrar> thoughts hyc?
<rehrar> the choice is up to you
<hyc> short meeting is prob a good idea just to touch base
<hyc> see how the point release is shaping up
<rehrar> hyc has spoken
<rehrar> we'll wait until designated time
<hyc> would be good to get back onto regular schedule
<dEBRUYNE> I did kind of announce it on github :P
<dEBRUYNE> So not sure if it is impromptu
<rehrar> then I was just out of it that week and didn't notice
<rehrar> but I prefer to fault others than myself, so if you could take the blame dEBRUYNE I'd appreciate that
<hyc> anything else for today's agenda?
<rehrar> 1. Greetings? :D
<hyc> oh yeah, I always forget the social conventions
<rehrar> 2. Point release items
<rehrar> moneromooo around? dsc_ too
<rehrar> ping the other peoples
<vtnerd__> hello
<selsta> GUI is almost ready for 0.14.1
<rehrar> bam, thanks selsta
<rehrar> and that will have Trezor, yeah?
<selsta> yes
<rehrar> I don't own one, so it's not a big deal for me, but I'll have an answer for people
<rehrar> anyone to do a quick update on Monero Core?
<rehrar> also, what is the name for the core software? Can we name it?
<rehrar> We've had this discussion a lot of times.
<jwinterm> monerod and monero-wallet-cli?
<rehrar> yes
<rehrar> alright, good talk everyone
<sgp_> hello everyone
<hyc> point release doesn't get a new name
<hyc> it's still Bron Butterfly
<hyc> Boron
<rehrar> I meant monero core software hc
<rehrar> *hyc
<hyc> oh
<sgp_> More than the "daemon" and "CLI"?
<hyc> what's wrong with calling it core?
<rehrar> nothing, I guess. I just don't know that there's one thing that people agree on.
<rehrar> well, doesn't seem there's anyone around to update on Monero core
<rehrar> selsta: anything else on the GUI. When expected to be done?
<rehrar> if someone wants to update on core whenever they have the time, that'd be cool.
<hyc> looks like nothing else then
<moneromooo> By core, you mean the GUI or not the GUI ?
<moneromooo> It's confusing because some people mean not the GUI now.
<dEBRUYNE> the 'monero' repository I guess :P
<ErCiccione[m]> well, with rights, since the GUI was called monero-corefor long time
<dEBRUYNE> ^ moneromooo
<hyc> but it's called monero-gui now so …
<rehrar> it made no sense that the GUI was ever called core
<hyc> god only knows why someone thought "hey let's make a gui but not call it the gui!"
<dEBRUYNE> I can give some further updates on the GUI once mooo is done with the core stuff :p
<rehrar> Can we all agree between us present that core means CLI tools and daemon?
<ErCiccione[m]> isn't just linked hyc? IIRC it should still take you to the GUI if you look for monero-project/monero-core
<rehrar> and GUI means GUI?
<jwinterm> most applications with GUIs are not called by their function+GUI, probably
<ErCiccione[m]> i confirm monero-core still points to monero-gui
<rehrar> oof. I'll restart the conversation again on github issue or something in regards to naming
<rehrar> either way, moneromooo is it possible to tell us where point release is at for CLI/core stufs?
<dEBRUYNE> moneromooo: My intention was to let you go first :-P
<hyc> jwinterm: do you find that's true for apps that have both GUI and CLI? particularly if only a CLI existed for a long time?
<moneromooo> We've started merging stuff before the customary 10 days wait now. I expect we'll branch soonish.
<moneromooo> The only thing I know of that's really needed before a branch is the new fake out selection.
<moneromooo> And that's PRed.
<moneromooo> A few nice to have are the SSL changes, the second part of the RPC tests, and possibly the pay-for-service but I think that one's unlikely to happen now.
<rehrar> cool, thanks
<ErCiccione[m]> i will push some translations for the CLI next week, we should have a new language available (hindi)
<moneromooo> So if anyone wants something in before the branch, be fast.
<moneromooo> And this time, there should be lots of time for translations ^_^
<rehrar> maybe I'll PR a pleasant message when opening the wallet so I can get a "contributor" flair or the reddits
<selsta> 19:13 <rehrar> well, doesn't seem there's anyone around to update on Monero core <– All features are PRed, only missing review.
<ErCiccione[m]> moneromooo: yep, not complaining this time (yet) :D
<rehrar> nice
<rehrar> dEBRUYNE: all you
<dEBRUYNE> Let's see
<hyc> btw I hope #5376 makes it in this round, it'll be helpful for the solo mining code
<jwinterm> hyc: not too many apps spring to mind that meet that criterion
<dEBRUYNE> Like selsta said, we should be ready in time for
<dEBRUYNE> There will be a revamped history page as well as a revamped address book
<dEBRUYNE> Xiphon has also posted a ffs to work on some stuff such as optimizing the communication between the wallet and the daemon and implementing a decentralized remote node scanner -> https://repo.getmonero.org/monero-project/ccs-proposals/merge_requests/55
<dEBRUYNE> For the latter feature, we'll have to wait a bit before nodes will start using the –public-node flag
<dEBRUYNE> Oh there will also be fiat pricing (the feature will be turned off by default)
<dEBRUYNE> And we've started discussing how to easily integrate i2p-zero and tor
<dEBRUYNE> ^ If anyone has suggestion on a design, feel free to list them
<rehrar> integrate in terms of design, yes dEBRUYNE ?
<dEBRUYNE> wrt i2p, I think the easiest would be the bundle the i2p binary with the GUI binary and then have a checkbox on the settings page to start it
<dEBRUYNE> The new white theme may also be included in the point release btw (vid from dsc here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTLNwRaoa4s)
<rehrar> ok
<rehrar> ooh, that's kind of cool
<dEBRUYNE> That's it basically :-P
<rehrar> cool
<rehrar> anything else from anyone?
<rehrar> I said we could keep it short. :)
<hyc> let's call it
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Cool. Two weeks from now. Same time. See you all then.
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Oh, those who have used the new CCS. How was it?
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> To donate or to put up a proposal?
<ErCiccione[m]> just quickly:
<ErCiccione[m]> The guide for the GUI is completed, thanks to el00ruobuob, it only needs to be built and translated, but it can be included with next release :)
<ErCiccione[m]> https://github.com/monero-ecosystem/monero-GUI-guide
<ErCiccione[m]> reviews and features/suggestions are always welcome
<ErCiccione[m]> rehrar: I think it's a great improvement in terms of usability for the community, still needs some tweaking, but i think it's a huge improvement
<dEBRUYNE> ErCiccione[m]: Doesn't the ecosystem repo already have the Monero heart logo btw? :P
<ErCiccione[m]> dEBRUYNE: yes, but i thought would be cool to have a personalized logo. I'd like the Ecosystem Project to grow with time
<dEBRUYNE> The hear tlogo kind of grew on me :-P
<ErCiccione[m]> eheh i can't deny i would miss it

Post tags : Dev Diaries, Monero Core, Cryptography